Making your own hummus is something that is SO worth trying out. It is very easy to make, much cheaper than buying the small containers at the store, and you can add-in almost anything you want to get new flavors. For this hummus I mixed in kalamata olives and green olives because I love the Sabra Greek olive flavor hummus. It turned out really well and I’ve been snacking on it for the past couple days.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (19 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with half the liquid reserved
- 4 tbs lemon juice
- 3 tbs tahini
- 1 tsp salt
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional add-ins and garnish (olives, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, spinach, feta cheese, cumin, paprika, olive oil, cilantro, etc.)
- Mince the garlic in a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- For add-ins, you can add them with the other ingredients if you want them finely diced and mixed in, or you can chop them separately in the food processor or by hand and add them at the end (if you want larger chunks).
- Pour into a bowl and garnish with whole chickpeas, oil, and spices