I love meltaway cookies. I decided I wanted these to be purple and that lavender would be a good accompanying flavor. These turned out great! Definitely give them a try if you like meltaway cookies. I’ll post my other favorite, cherry pistachio, at some point soon.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbs lavender tea leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Optional: ¼ tsp lavender extract
- Optional: purple gel food color
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, tea, and salt. Set aside.
- With a mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract, mixing until combined. Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until completely combined.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into small circles and then press with hands (or with the bottom of a cup) into a disk shape. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are! Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk and almond extract – until smooth.
- Using a spoon, smooth icing onto the top of each cookie and let set for 10 minutes, or until hardened. Store in the fridge, let come to room temperature when ready to serve.