I had some extra strawberries and thought this looked like a fun thing to try out. I took these to work yesterday and everyone ate more than one. I especially liked them straight out of the fridge when the cream part had gotten a bit colder. Tasty and dangerous 🙂 Most of the recipes involved a cake mix for the base, which I didn’t have on hand, so I just made a simple base with flour, butter, and sugar.
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbs butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 lb strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar (can bump up to 1/3 cup if you want it sweeter)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- In a food processor, or by hand, mix the flour, butter, and sugar to create a breadcrumb-like mix. Press about 2/3 of this into the base of an 8″ square tin, lined with parchment paper, and bake at 350 F for about 15 minutes, or until starting to turn golden.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla together until smooth. When the base is done, pour the cream cheese mixture on top, scatter the chopped strawberries all over, and finish by sprinkling clumps of the rest of the crumb mixture on top.
- Return to the oven for another 30-40 minutes, until the cream cheese mixture is set and the crumb is golden. Leave to cool before slicing into bars, and serve chilled.