I’ve been meaning to make this chicken for a while and it did not disappoint (great sauce) but the highlight of this meal was actually the rice! This rice is so full of coconut flavor and is sweet and delicious with a great texture too. I don’t cook rice too often but I will definitely be making this again frequently!
- 2 cups white or Jasmine rice
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 tsp Kosher salt
- Splash of white vinegar
- 3 tsp white sugar
- Handful of chopped green onions for garnish
- Black pepper to taste
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water, salt, vinegar, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Turn heat to low and cover for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Add green onions, black pepper (if desired), and additional salt if necessary.
Coconut Lime Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut flat or pounded flat or cut into thin strips)
- 3 tbsp oil
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- pinch cayenne
- 1 small fresh hot chili, such as Thai or Serrano, minced (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh limes, cut into wedges
- Mix all ingredients except chicken, fresh cilantro, and limes to create marinade.
- Add chicken and marinade to a large bowl or ziploc bag and chill in the refrigerator for up to two hours.
- Once you are ready to cook the chicken, remove each breast from the marinade.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a rolling boil. Boil continuously for at least 2 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- In a heavy skillet or grill pan, heat a splash of oil over high heat.
- Place the breasts in the hot pan and cook without turning for a couple minutes
- Flip the breasts over and cook until the other side is golden, it shouldn’t take long depending on the thickness of your chicken.
- Sprinkle with fresh lime juice and cilantro. Optional: cut into strips or chunks and serve over rice with sauce on the side.